A journal of paddle commuting to work via the Potomac River and C&O Canal.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Day five, Monday, June 13 - forethought

On an average day, I put on a suit and tie, jump in the car, and drive to work.  At the day's end I loosen my tie, get back in the car, and drive home.  This ritual does not demand much of me, physically or mentally.  Paddle commuting is different, and not just in terms of physical exertion.  Paddle commuting requires forethought.  Some might say this is not my strong suit.

On the afternoon of Monday, June 6 my schedule was filled with meetings. By the time they were all wrapped up, it was late and I was tired.  Perhaps it wasn't the best day for river commuting.  So I got a ride home from a co-worker who lives in my neighborhood.

On the morning of Monday, June 13, I woke up eager to paddle to work.  Unfortunately, my boat was already at work because I hadn't paddled it home yet and instead left it at Thompson Boat Center all week.  Fortunately, a neighbor right across the street (not the ride-home-giving co-worker neighbor) had previously offered me the use of his kayak whenever I needed it (nice neighbors, right?).  At the time, I saw no need to borrow his boat because it is the same model as my own, only blue.  But on this morning, it was the same model as my own, only...available.  Once again, good neighbors had overcome bad planning!

It was a beautiful early summer morning, and I was looking forward to soaking in the sights and sounds of the Potomac.  On my way home from walking my kids to school, I gratefully picked up my neighbor's boat.  Shortly thereafter, I was on the canal heading downstream and downtown.

Arriving at Fletcher's, I pulled the blue kayak out of the canal and carried it down towards the river at Fletcher's Cove.  Walking out on the dock with the boat on my shoulder, I felt the urge to check my Blackberry to review my schedule for the day.  Hmmm...it appears that I have a meeting in just under an hour...and I still need to paddle from Fletcher's to Thompson, stow the boat, walk the rest of the way to my office, shower and put on a suit, pull together what I need for the meeting, and get to the meeting on time.  Hmmm...forethought...might not be my strong suit.

Just then, my next door neighbor pulled up to the dock in one of those flat-bottomed fan boats like you take on alligator-hunting expeditions in the Everglades, and offered to tow me in to Foggy Bottom.  That last part wasn't true.  You are not allowed to hunt alligators in the Everglades.  Oh, and my neighbor doesn't have one of those boats either.  I only wish he did.  This time there was no neighbor to save me from myself.

The only sights and sounds I can recall from this morning's ride are: 1) my watch,  and 2) my panting.

Upon my breathless arrival at Thompson, I hauled the blue kayak inside the boathouse only to find a yellow kayak already in my rack.  Hmmm...can two kayaks fit in one rack space?  Barely.  Phew.  Now if I keep hustling, I just might make it to my meeting on time.

As I took my place at the conference table with minutes to spare I was filled with an irrational, private self-satisfaction.  Then a thought occurred to me.  Hmmm...now I have two kayaks at work and none at home.  I'm going to need to give this situation some thought.



1 comment: